Saturday, February 19, 2011

little corn island


11/02/18

Little Corn Island. Population 515 and lots of tourists. 1.5 square km. No motorized transport. Goods are moved by wheelbarrow. People move on foot. I am sitting on a wooden deck chair on my veranda facing the beach. The water is turquoise and warm. The birds are singing. The wind is blowing. There is a constant flux of movement around the island and my cabana sits on the beach along the main road . So people walk by on a regular basis. They smile and nod. There are also paths thru the trees which are loaded with fruit. There are so many tourists that fruit is expensive to buy and accomodation can get pricey. For my very basic but clean and adequate cabin with private bathroom, I am paying $20. The bed is on a raised platform with a good mosquito net. The floors are wooden slats. For some reason, I have a sofa squeezed in as well which makes for a comfortable reading spot at night. An open square hole in the wall is my window with a wooden shutter which I close at night for security. I even have a thatch roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment